Wednesday 3 October 2012

Blogging Social Difference in LA: Week 1 (Updated 12/9/12)

My interest in Geography began when I started to ask questions like, "Why is this country more developed than that one?" or "What causes people to come together and create a language, culture, and tradition that is particular to only this area?". double majoring in Geography in addition to Economics gave me the perfect opportunity to explore and answer all of these questions. This blog is going to help me put only a portion of my suppositions, thoughts, and findings into physical form.

My interest in this class closely parallels my interest in these broader topics. I have focused my choice of geography classes at UCLA towards trying to get a better understanding of the world we live in, why people do what they do, and how things can happen one way in one place and completely differently in another place. This class will now allow me to focus my study of the distribution of people within spaces down to the distribution of social differences within and among spaces. Los Angeles is the perfect place to study this distribution of social differences, as it houses some of the most unique and varying collections of people, cultures, ethnicities, races, and beliefs all within one concentrated area. Thus, this class will not only let me study all of this, but put it into practical application.

After living in LA for four years now, I can truly attest to the importance of understanding the social, economic, and political dynamics that make up this city. Understanding the social fabric- meaning how people interact, how they are similar, and how they are different- is crucial in such a prominent and diverse city. Without such understanding, we would remain ignorant of the many processes that create society, and which subsequently mold who we are as members of society. Hopefully, through my various adventures into the Los Angeles Metropolitan Region,I will better answer the question, "What difference does difference make in the landscapes of the contemporary, metropolitan Los Angeles region?".

No comments:

Post a Comment